Radon Action are delighted to announce that we are partnering with the UKs only dedicated lung cancer charity by providing radon risk management services for their properties as well as corporate donations to the charity. Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers and businesses inside Radon Affected Areas are required to complete a Radon Risk Assessment to reduce risks.
The Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation is the only charity in the UK wholly dedicated to defeating lung cancer – one of the biggest global health problems, claiming more lives than any other cancer in the UK.
With around 45,000 new cases diagnosed each year, and 36,000 recorded deaths every year, the outlook for lung cancer patients is extremely poor, it has the worst survival rate of all cancers. Almost 80% of patients die within the first year following diagnosis and shockingly, one in three will die within the first 90 days.
Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation aims to:
Prevent people dying from lung cancer by:
- Promoting and funding research into the early detection of lung cancer
- Raising public awareness of the signs and symptoms of lung cancer and the importance of its early detection
- Educating young people on the dangers of smoking through our Cut Films programme, using film-making work-shops and social media to engage and empower young people.
- Campaigning for better outcomes for lung cancer patients.
Improve the lives of those affected by the disease by:
- Promoting and funding research into patient experience
- Running lung cancer support groups across the UK, providing a place for patients and their carers to meet other people going through the same experience, share their stories and form friendships.
- Providing patient relief grants to lung cancer patients living in poverty, helping them pay for transport to hospital appointments, cover heating bills, and pay for special experiences for families who are facing their last days together.
- Offering telephone and online support from lung cancer nurses
- Providing specialist information resources to patients and the NHS
- Supporting lung cancer nurse specialists in training, advice and information